The RODEO

Cartoon History

Armando Irazaba

Cartoon History

Cartoons are a simple drawing showing important features of its subject in a humorously exaggerated way. A cartoon is a motionless or a motion picture using animation techniques to photograph a sequence of drawings rather than real people or objects.

Cartoons have been an important role in today’s youth and society. Cartoons have evolved from simple drawings to having their own tv show and having representation of important things. Cartoons are mostly important to youth and are usually grown out of by adultery. However, some people stick to watching cartoons and are still entertained by them .

Some of the most famous cartoons are The simpsons, which is a comedy tv show with yellow characters. The Flintstones, which includes a family that lives in caveman days. Also the Looney tunes have an important role in cartoon history made up of animated animals interacting with everything around them.

Cartoons that are on TV have something called voiceovers. Voice overs are people who talk for the characters/cartoons on the TV show. Some popular voiceovers are Tom Kenny, who plays the voice for spongebob Squarepants. Melvin Blanc, who plays the voice for bugs bunny in looney tunes. Or Peter Robbins the voice for Charlie Brown in a cartoon named, “peanuts”.

One of the first cartoons ever made is called “Fantasmagorie”. Fantasmagorie was created in 1908 by Émile Cohl. According to the website, Lomography, “Émil Cohl was a French graphic artist and the first cartoon filmmaker in Europe. In 1908, he joined the Gaumont film company as a writer, but then moved to making animated films. Cohl made a lot of films (over 250), using drawings, cut-outs, puppets and more.” Fantasmagorie took 5 months to create and only lasted 1 minute and 20 seconds. Cohl had to hand draw about 700 pictures and then take pictures of his drawings. Fantasmagorie is a french word, which, can be defined as “a constantly shifting complex succession of things seen or imaged.” Since 1908 to 2018 the way cartoons are made have changed drastically. Thanks to technology cartoons only take 6-7 weeks, which, is still a long time but compared to 5 months it’s not much.