The RODEO

Ford VS Kavanaugh

Anastasia Samora

In the early summer of 2018, Christine Ford, a professor of Psychology, wrote a private letter to the ranking member of the supreme court, Dianne Feinstein, accusing nominee; Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her in 1982. She claims they were both high school students at a house “gathering” in suburban Maryland.  Her allegation came out on september 16th, 2018 without Ford’s consent. Feinstein had held onto the letter for months, respecting Ford’s request to keep the letter private. After Ford found out Brett Kavanaugh was a nominee for the supreme court, she figured she would anonymously write to the Washington Post, informing them about the assault hoping they would take into consideration who they would elect. The journalists did their investigating, and found out who the anonymous reporter was. Ford accepted that it was out and figured she would be the one to tell her story, 36 years later.

In Ford’s letter, she describes the traumatic event that took place in her life. She explains how she attended a summer “gathering” in Maryland, with at least four others. She is sure that Brett Kavanaugh and Mark Judge were part of the individuals that attended. After she went upstairs to use the bathroom, Kavanaugh and another student named Mark Judge “ pushed and locked her in a bedroom” (FB,2)  Ford claims, and Kavanaugh forcefully tried to remove her clothes, groping her while on top of her. He had pinned her to the bed while his mate, Mark Judge, watched. Both were “visibly drunk” Ford asserted, and Kavanaugh “covered her mouth” (FB,3) after she had tried to scream. The attack didn’t last too long, before Mark jumped on both of them, knocking Kavanaugh and Ford onto the floor, where she was able to get up and run to the bathroom, where she locked the door behind her. She claims she waited there till she heard them both go back downstairs, laughing on the way down, bouncing off of the walls. The letter was received by Feinstein in June, and wasn’t released until September.

Brett Kavanaugh’s hearing occured on the 27th of September of 2018. The event was not a testimony to see whether Kavanaugh was guilty of the crime or not, but a hearing to judge whether he should be admitted onto the supreme court or not. It happened on a Thursday, and the supreme court extended the vote for another week. It wasn’t until october 6th, that the official vote of 51-49 was what elected Brett Kavanaugh and he was sworn in as ‘supreme court justice.’ According to CNN news, trump called the even a “historic night” and said, “I stand before you today on the heels of a tremendous victory for our nation, our people and our beloved Constitution,” (CNN, 8). Senate Minority Leader, Chuck Schumer, was not happy of the results, calling the nomination, “one of the saddest moments in the history of the Senate,” and said, “this chapter will be a flashing red warning light of what to avoid,” (CNN, 10). It was a tough day for everyone all around, and everyone couldn’t wait till it was over. Is it over? Was justice never served? Does Brett Kavanaugh deserve to be on the supreme court?