The RODEO

JIMMY SANTIAGO BACA

Oscar Ambriz, Copy Editor

Jimmy Santiago Baca is an American writer and poet of Chicano and Apache descent. Santiago Baca was born in 1952 and was abandoned by his parents at the age of thirteen. His grandma placed him in an orphanage but ended up running away. On 1973 Baca was convicted for drug charges and spent five years in the Arizona State Prison. While being in prison Baca learned how to read and wright which and started writing poetry.

On Wednesday December 13 all of the english classes started watching a documentary called A Place To Stand where he talked about the details of how writing helped him overcome violence and crime in prison.

Baca came to West Early College on December 15, 2017 to speak with the students about his life and how is helped him through a lot in his life. Baca talked about how his writing changed people’s life with and how it affected them. He read two notes, one was about a man that was really touched and connected with some of his books. The letter said how Baca helped him better himself while he was in prison and later ended getting multiple degrees after he got out of prison.

The students were very compelled by his story and his experiences. Diego guzman, a student from West Early College which attended this event. “Baca’s story was very interesting and insightful because it was a true story that was very surreal…” he said. Many other students also felt the same way just like Santiago, another student here a West. “The stories were pretty cool because they affected many people in a very deep way”. He will continue to affect people throughout his career just like he already has.