The student news site of West Early College

The RODEO

Hurricane Irma

Diego Guzman, Copy Editor

In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, another Category 5 storm is heading towards other populated areas. Hurricane Irma is set to hit the Caribbean and a large part of Florida. Irma is also set to cause massive damage and destruction to those areas. People are evacuating in the masses trying to escape the storm while others will have chosen to wait out the current storm.

The Caribbean island of Barbuda has been completely devastated by Irma. The prime minister of Barbuda, Gaston Browne, has said that, “Barbuda right now is literally a rubble.” He had also said, “The entire housing stock was damaged.” The island has been completely devastated by the storm and it appears that nothing has been unscaved.

In Florida many are evacuating to avoid the upcoming storms. The Governor of Florida, Rick Scott, has said,”Based on what we know, the majority of Florida will have major hurricane impact and deadly winds. We expect this along the entire east coast and west coast…All Floridians should be prepared to evacuate.” Scott is advising anyone in Florida to leave and if the people don’t leave, they should prepare for the worst.    

The island of Barbuda has a relatively small population only around 1800 people but Irma is on a path to hit other very populated areas like Florida and Puerto Rico. The storm will destroy more populated areas leaving more people homeless and ruined.  Hurricane Harvey and Irma are not the only storms that will cause damage, with Hurricane Jose on the horizon.