The RODEO

Career Connect Pathways

Amy Cera, Reporter

West Early College has taken a turn. In order for students to be college and career ready, WEC has begun offering college courses. Of course, students get college credit for these courses & the thing is, the courses are offered at the WEC campus!

The goal is to have students started on what is called a “pathway.” The pathways include a technology pathway, medical pathway, and a “creative” pathway.

Students typically start their pathway freshman year. What several students fail to realize is that the pathways actually open a door of opportunity for all students involved.

After speaking with Emma Byers (West’s Internship Coordinator), it has been discovered that there are not two, but three opportunities outside of school regarding pathways.

“At the high school level at West, there are 3 programs connected with careerconnect. CarrerX is for 9th and they explore companies by going on 2 field trips a year.” The field trips include visiting companies related to the pathway that the students are in.

“Career coach is where 10th graders are matched with a mentor in the tech industry. Half of the sessions are at West & the other half in the company.” “Career launch, is where students participate in internships….Fall and spring opportunities are now available.” Career Launch is available to students within 9th through 11th grade.

The tech connect pathway has been the most successful pathway due to the fact that more than half the internships were technology based. However, according to West’s internship coordinator, “The medical pathway is expanding into medical internships.”

As a student,it is important to understand where these pathways can lead you. When an opportunity arises for a WEC student to be part of real world experiences.